pink, my dear

a Midwestern, thirtysomething, working mama's blog about life, food, motherhood, Ulcerative Colitis, ostomy, and other things

As Great-Grandmother Libb says, "I like any color so long as it's pink."

Monday, August 20, 2007

The Wheels on the Bus...

So, the school year is upon us. My husband is just days away from starting his very first year as an art teacher. Yaay! I'm not working in a school any more, so this will actually be the first time I don't have to change my schedule for the school year in, I think, six years. Wow.

Still, I have a certain amount of excitement and nostalgia for the renewed promise of a new school year. I can seen the small changes happening in my neighborhood as people prepare for the first few days back. During my high school years, especially, those last few weeks before school started were filled not only with late night adventures and last glimpses of summertime, but also with band camps (yes, I know, I went to band camp), sports practice, and a chance to regroup with old friends and make new friends. I sometimes wish we could all escape from the drudgery of everyday work/life for a couple months in the summer. It would keep things fresh.

I think it's only fitting that I include the following snippets, which, in a roundabout way, say something about the Back-to-School frenzy. These are short videos taken at the Columbus Motor Speedway , filmed (poorly) by me last Saturday, August 18, 2007. I try to go to the races at least once a year with my dad. On this particular night, the feature race (in addition to what can be generally described as a less-sophisticated,Nascar-style racing) was Figure 8 School Bus Racing. Yes, school buses racing around a figure-eight track. My brother and I can be heard cracking up on the film. It's much more entertaining in person, but you'll get the general idea:



No comments:

my del.icio.us and flickr