pink, my dear

a Midwestern, thirtysomething, working mama's blog about life, food, motherhood, Ulcerative Colitis, ostomy, and other things

As Great-Grandmother Libb says, "I like any color so long as it's pink."

Monday, August 06, 2007

One year down...


BCBD5123.JPG
Originally uploaded by Pink, My Dear
We made it through our first year of marriage! It has been a very solid year, I think. We've grown closer in subtle ways. We're learning how to communicate about the big stuff and also the little and the mundane everyday stuff. I've gone through a whole range of emotions, from elation, to loneliness, to minor boredom, to total bliss.

Coming down off the high of our wedding day (and all the momentum leading up to it) was hard for a while. I swear people started treating me differently as soon as that ring was on my finger. The phone stopped ringing. E-mails stopped coming. I'm guessing many friends and even some family just felt like we'd want some privacy and alone time as newlyweds. Unfortunately, our schedules didn't mesh very well, so that just translated into a lot of isolation and sadness for me. I didn't really feel like I could share this because a) it would make me look like an ungrateful new bride doomed to ruin her marriage and b) no one really wanted to hear it. Either their own problems far outweighed my meager complaints, or they just couldn't understand where I was coming from. I probably should've blogged then, huh? The winter months were especially rough. Changing jobs helped me and getting closer toward his teaching career helped R. These last few months have been smooth sailing.

We celebrated with a weekend away at Lake Hope. Aptly named. More about Camp Slant, the heart-carved tree, the furnace, and wedding cake later. For now, it's time to get to work. I'm gonna ride out this wave of joy until the next one picks me up again.

2 comments:

amy turn sharp said...

Congrats to my favorite people
I love you both individualy and together
marriage is an adventure xoxoxoxo

Jaydubs said...

Hey, congratulations on your first anniversary! It sounds like you picked a great place to celebrate, too -- I've heard that Lake Hope is beautiful.

Anyhoo, Colleen and I are really excited about the prospect of getting some words of advice from you about gettin' hitched. We should figure out doing that ASAP!

my del.icio.us and flickr