pink, my dear

a Midwestern, thirtysomething, working mama's blog about life, food, motherhood, Ulcerative Colitis, ostomy, and other things

As Great-Grandmother Libb says, "I like any color so long as it's pink."

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Hello, Nice to Meet You.

My favorite color is pink. But let me clarify-- not just any old pink. I like Pink-- shocking, bright, bubble-gum, magenta, fuschia, loud pink. Not baby pink or mauve or rose. Now, a good, satiny, pastel pink can look very stylish in small doses. It's just that people who don't really understand often give me gifts that are downright Mild and don't really do justice to either my appearance or the color pink itself. Unfortunately, pink gets a bad rap for being overly 'girly' and unsophisticated. For me, it's part of living life brightly, as an individual (albeit in the same Isaac Mizrahi for Target sweater owned by hundreds of other girls). I own more pairs of Pink shoes than brown shoes. Hmmm.

I'm getting married this summer. I have a wonderful fiancee who is an amazing artist and soon-to-be art teacher. We are the best of friends and, I believe, a sensational duo. We bought our first house just a few months ago and we're really enjoying the experience of being homeowners together. Our 'family' also includes two hound dogs who have loads of personality. Image hosting by Photobucket

We're sort of going for a no-frills approach to our wedding, which we're planning by ourselves on a fairly small budget (in wedding standards, our entire budget is what some girls might spend on just the dress). And, I'm considering wearing a Pink dress. Because, why not? There is a slight chance that, as we approach the wedding date, this blog may become an outlet for my bridal insanity. I hope not, but I'm giving everyone fair warning.

I work for a non-profit and I (mostly) love my job. My day-to-day responsibilities involve running a program for school-aged kids in the same 'urban' neighborhood where I received much of my education. I also work in partnership with the parents of these kids to help support their success in school. I have developed close ties with many families over the years through this line of work. I'd like to think that I'm pretty good at my job too, although I know I have my flaws.

I think I've always been sort of an open-book type, as I don't like secrets and I'm a terrible liar. Most of my friends know about my successes and failures in school, relationships, my creative pursuits, etc. I've been lucky to hold on to many of my closest friendships for many years--some of my best friends are people I met in high school, middle school, even grade school. That's kind of rare for someone growing up in a big(-ish) city, isn't it? I also have a very close relationship with my parents, for which I am extremly grateful. They rock. I also have one younger brother, a computer whiz and all-around fix-it guy who, thankfully, is usually willing to trade his fixing skills for a well cooked meal. Thank goodness I can cook.

I see this blog as a place to share with friends and total strangers the things that I'm creating like this: Image hosting by Photobucket as well as stuff that's on my mind (like the fact that the school where I work is closing in the Spring) and miscellaneous other things like recipes and dreams .

Hope to 'meet' some fellow bloggy-types and share crazy ideas. See you around?

No comments:

my del.icio.us and flickr